Pages

{Verse of the Day}

{Verse of the Day}:

Friday, September 2, 2016

No Time for Bitter Cucumbers

I don't know about you, but this year's garden is ....meh.

I planted 4 zucchini plants and 4 yellow squash. I tended to them, weeded around them, made sure they got the right amount of water and...got nothing in return. After a couple months of no return, those plants got yanked.

Out of the 30 carrot seeds I planted, only 4 and a half grew....I have no idea what happened to the other half of that last carrot. We dug for it and never found it.

My cucumbers are holding their own...we have not gotten enough to can a 2nd batch of pickles, but we have had enough to keep my Hubby's cucumber salad addiction in check.
I love cucumbers (maybe not as much as Hubby) and sometimes I get so hungry for a small plate full of sweet crunchy slices...and all I get are bitter bites.
So I try another - peel, trim, slice, crunch...bitter.
I am much more leery when going for a 3rd.
I've heard the bitterness comes from lack of proper watering and too much heat and it has been very hot this summer and we have had little rain...and no hose...and it takes so long to haul water from the house...

So I reach for other veggies because I have no time for bitter cucumbers.

But aren't we sometimes like that?

All sweet and fresh looking on the outside and then WHAM...something goes wrong and bitterness and anger pour out.

I'm sure we could pin a million reasons (and excuses) onto why we act this way: Stress, lack of sleep, hormones...and some of this may be true.
But I'll fess-up...more often than not *I* get this way because of lack of proper care. Much like a garden needs certain nutrients and conditions to thrive, our hearts and souls need tending to - fed with God's Word, freshened by Living Water, taking rest in His presence. Otherwise we struggle, we shrivel, and if you're like me... you might become bitter and angry.
When I have stepped outside of His presence and get wrapped up in my own world of things I easily get overwhelmed. When I am overwhelmed, it affects those around me. And too many "bites" of my bitterness makes others leery to interact with me.
And who can blame them!
I don't even like MYSELF that way!
Today was one of those day...ouch.

It is time for me to retreat to the Garden of His Mercy and Grace where I can be renewed, find rest, be filled, and once again bring sweetness to others.


Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor [perpetual animosity, resentment, strife, fault-finding] and slander be put away from you, along with every kind of malice [all spitefulness, verbal abuse, malevolence].
 



If you need me...you'll find me out in the Garden.


No comments:

Post a Comment